Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sugar Blocks and a Shirt


 I've been doing more sewing than collaging lately. I thought I would share my last three blocks for the Sugar Block Club. This sunny block is the April block.


I love this May block. It is a gorgeous pattern! I had to make the smaller blocks with the pink stripe twice because they came out too small the first time. That is so frustrating ! I'm so happy they turned out right on the second try. 

This is the June block. I had to make one of the corner blocks twice. I'm not sure why only one decided not to work. Ha! I like how I'm blaming it on the block and not the seamstress. Not my fault!

This is a knit shirt I made.

I studied fashion design and dressmaking when I was young and then didn't use the education for anything but making pillows or curtains. I feel so rusty so I've signed up for several Craftsy sewing classes. This shirt is from a Sewing With Knits class. I really enjoyed it and now I am going to learn how to fit patterns for my curvier self. I made that skinny mannequin that is wearing the purple shirt back in design school. She is my exact measurements for when I was 21. That was 30 years ago. What??? I guess you can't really see how skinny it is under that baggy shirt. I have a photo of me wearing it but the censor didn't approve it so my mannequin modeled it instead. Tee hee!



2 comments:

  1. LOVE that May block Susan...I wish I was a better sewer - do you follow Nan up in Alaska - she is a seamstress extraordinaire --- see her blog here if you don't: http://nansnewsfromthenorth.blogspot.com/
    and I love her stories about where she lives..Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those blocks, esp. the sunny April one. But all are unique. I'm with you.. have made a block more than once! I try to go back and study where I went wrong- cutting, sewing, or pressing. It's usually a seam allowance that is just a bit too wide despite using the right foot and guides. Go figure. I like Craftsy, too. Great options there.

    ReplyDelete